Recipe for Cranberry and Pear Crumble
This is an idea for a festive recipe around Christmas-time and is a tasty, healthy option which is not
jam-packed full of sugar.
The cranberries help to keep with the traditional feeling of this holiday time.
- 4 pears
- 200g fresh cranberries
- 4tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sugar substitute (e.g. Canderel)
- 120g oats
- 50g wholemeal flour
- 2 tbsp sugar substitute or Canderel
- 50g butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- Peel and cut pears into small cubes
- Place in an ovenproof dish
- Add cranberries and water
- Add sugar substitute and stir
- Mix other dried ingredients, blending the butter or marg in well
- Spread on top of fruit mixture
- Cook at 190C, 350F for 30-40 minutes
This was a recipe which Alissa adapted to have a low sugar crunchy topping.
Serve with a spoonful of yoghurt, fromage frais or low fat custard.
Serve this pudding for Thanksgiving - adding a low-fat cream substitute, such as Elmlea .
Replace the cranberry and pear with other fruits:-
- Banana & orange - chopped bananas, a spoonful of brown sugar and three tablespoons of orange juice
- Raspberry or Blackberry & Apple - tinned sugar-free apple puree (or sliced fresh cooking apples,
peeled) mixed with frozen blackberries or raspberries
Use frozen fruits and pre-prepare and freeze the crumble mix - then you can literally put this together quickly
in under 5 minutes.
Links to other areas of the site
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
We'll keep you informed and updated
Copyright © 2012 -Diabetia - All rights reserved.
Conforms to W3C Standard