Recipe for Mediterranean Pie
This is a recipe for all the family to enjoy and full of protein.
Making time 20 minutes
time 15 minutes
175g 6oz ready-made
Juice of half a
1 tbsp chopped fresh
the egg and sardines
the lemon juice and parsley
out the pastry to a rectangle (abou 14” x 12”; 35 x 30 cm)
mixture on half the pastry
the edges with egg
down to seal
the top with beaten egg
diagonal slices across
for 15 minutes at 225
When serving, simply give a smaller portion of the puff pastry to yourself if you're diabetic.
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pkt lasagne sheets
- 500 ml bouillon (vegetable stock)
- 300 ml milk
- 1 glass of wine
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1dsp dried oregano
- black pepper and salt, to taste
- 55g butter
- 55g flour
- 500ml milk
- 100g cheese + 50g cheese for sprinkling
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry parsnips and carrots in olive oil for 5-10 minutes until soft and brown
- Mix chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, parsnips and carrots
- Fry the lamb mince in the remaining oil
- While the mince is cooking, add the oregano, pepper, salt, peanut butter, wine and the bouillon
- Add cooked mince and milk, simmer gently on a low heat for 45-60 minutes to reduce the liquid and thicken the sauce
- Make bechamel sauce - melt butter, add flour gradually, stir in gently. Add milk gradually, stirring continually.
- Add cheese, once smooth, stirring until melted
- Using large baking dish, grease with oil
- Line the bottom with lasagne sheets
- Add a thin layer of the meat mix, then a layer of the sauce
- Add another layer of lasagne sheets, followed by a layer of meat, then sauce
- The final layer should be lasagne sheets with bechamel sauce and cheese sprinkled on top
- Cook in the oven at 180 C for 35-40 minutes, until golden and bubbling
Serve hot with slices of warmed bread and fresh salad.
This recipe will freeze well and reheat easily in a microwave.
Print this page
Links to other areas of the site
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
We’ll keep you informed and updated
Copyright © 2012 -Diabetia - All rights reserved.
Conforms to W3C Standard