Stewed Apples. Compotes & Apple Sauce recipe
Alissa's Apple Sauce (or stewed apple) Recipe
This is easy to make at home and far cheaper (and probably healthier) than the shop bought versions:-
- Sugar substitute
- Clean, empty jam jar
- Core and chop the apples.
- Place in saucepan and add water to cover the bottom of the pan (about 1cm deep).
- Simmer on a low to medium heat, stirring regularly.
- When cooked, use the back of a spoon or fork to mash the apples.
- Place in clean, warmed jar.
- Refrigerate and use within 3 days
This is an ideal accompaniment to breakfast porridge, or as a dessert served with a spoonful of yoghurt or
Fresh Fruit Compotes
It's quite popular at the moment to have fresh fruit compotes with breakfast or as part of a dessert.
Making a compote with whatever is in season is easy, you just need fresh fruit, sugar and water.
- 400ml water
- 200g sugar
- 500g fresh fruit (apples, rhubarb, pears, strawberries or raspberries)
- Prepare the fruit (peel, core and slice)
- Stir sugar and water together until simmering
- Add fruit to the pan
- Bring gently to a simmer and cook gently until the fruit is just tender
- Remove from the heat
- Cover pan
- When cold it is ready to eat or store
Links to other areas of the site
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
We’ll keep you informed and updated
Copyright © 2012 -Diabetia - All rights reserved.
Conforms to W3C Standard