Diabetic Cake Recipes
Fed up with traditional cakes, full of sugar and white flour? There are alternatives, or ways that you can adapt your favorite baking recipes to make them more healthy.
As a general rule for adapting baking & cake recipes so that they’re suitable for a diabetic diet, replace at least half the white flour with wholemeal and cut the amount of sugar, where possible.
Another idea is to ensure that they’re low GI or relatively low carb, by replacing flour with ingredients such as ground almonds, and sugar with sweeteners.
Here’s a few cake recipes from our kitchen that are lower in fat and sugar. These cakes are suitable for diabetics (in moderate quantities!):-
- Healthy Birthday Low Carb Chocolate Cake Recipe
Once we’d tried this healthy & easy chocolate sugar-free cake recipe it became a firm family favorite – so delicious and you can have good size slices and still be eating low carbs
- Easy Banana Bread Recipes
Quick and easy moist banana cake recipe – easy to follow, great to eat or keep – this popular family favorite is easy to freeze
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Recipe
This is such a tasty chocolate brownie recipe – and it’s gluten free too. For best results, bake the day before to allow flavors to develop
- Healthy Carrot Cake Recipe
Love the flavour of a classic spicy carrot cake? Try this healthy moist carrot cake recipe for some yummy indulging
- Healthy Muffin Recipe
Here’s our favorite low carb muffin recipes that are better for your health and won’t hurt your waistline too much
- Low Carb Muffins
Tasty & healthy – these low carb muffins won’t add inches to your waistline. Try & eat in moderation!
- Sheilas Cold Tea Fruit Loaf Recipe
My favorite bake ahead recipe, the flavour in this fruit loaf just gets better with time, if you can leave it for long, that is!
Other tips on making your existing recipes more healthy:-
- use agave nectar
- reduce the sugar content by ¼
- replace white flour with ¼ to ½ wholemeal or whole wheat (much more than this can impair the flavour)
- replace ¼ regular flour with ground almonds, or almond flour, where the recipe is heavy or dense. This is not suitable for light cakes.
Please send us in your favorite recipies for baking !
Summer Berry Loaf Recipe
Here’s a new recipe that we’ve adapted and tried over the summer:-
Summer Berry Loaf
- 250g mix of wholemeal and gluten-free flour
- 75g sugar
- 75g fructose sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150ml buttermilk
- 1 lemon
- 200g fresh or frozen berries (e.g. mix of strawberry,blueberry,etc)
- icing sugar
- Heat the oven to 180 degress (GM4)
- Line a loaf tin
- Sift flour and mix in sugars
- Mix eggs & buttermilk. Add butter and lemon zest.
- Fold all together, adding the berry mix
- Pour into the loaf tin
- Cook for 40-50 minutes, checking colour regularly, the cake is ready when golden
- Leave in tin to cool
- Using sieve sift icing sugar over finished cake to finish
This cake keeps and freezes well – cut into slices before freezing.
Serve with a drizzle of soya or Elmlea cream.
This is great served as a slice of cake or as a dessert.