As well as being healthy, banana bread is an easy way to use up over-ripe bananas. This can be a quick way to create a moist tasty cake using a simple and basic recipe - resulting in a cake that everyone enjoys and that will store well, if you can manage to keep any.
Here’s a couple of our favorite recipe banana cake recipes:-
Moist Banana & Raisin Bread
This is a tried and tested family favorite for over twenty years, adapted by mixed white and whole wheat flours.
- 125g butter
- 100g wholemeal (or whole wheat) self raising flour
- 150g self raising flour
- 50g brown sugar
- 125g raisins or sultanas
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1 medium size egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- Melt the margarine in a microwave or a small pan
- Mix together the flours, raisins and sugar
- Mash the bananas and add to the flour mix
- Stir in egg and melted margarine
- Mix well
- Pour into a lightly greased loaf tin
- Bake at 180C, 350F, GM4 for 1¼ hours
This is a great freezer recipe, cut into slices before freezing, ready for when unexpected guests pop round to visit.
18g Carbs per slice. (Makes 20 slices) You could reduce the carbs further by going with Splenda brown sugar and making some flour substitutions.
Banana Cake – Simple Basic Recipe
This is based on a recipe I used for cooking when in Nigeria many years ago – and is another version of this trusted favorite.
- 50g sugar
- 200g margarine
- 250g flour, mixed wholemeal (whole wheat) and white
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 3 small-medium ripe bananas, mashed
- Cream the margarine and sugar
- Stir in the flour and baking powder
- Add the eggs and banana
- Spoon into a greased loaf tin
- Bake at 180C, 350F, GM4 for 30 minutes until golden and springy
If you prefer your cake a little spiced, add a ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon.
Try other bread variations by mixing whole wheat and other favorite flours, or adding chopped nuts, walnuts or pecans.
VEGAN BANANA BREAD
- 3 ripe Bananas
- 1 cup Evaporated Cane Juice
- 1/3 cup Oil
- 1/2 cup Soy Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup 1/4 Organic Unbleached White Flour
- 1/2 cup Wheat Germ
- 1/4 cup Wheat Bran
- 1/4 cup Golden Flaxseed Meal
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Walnuts- Baker’s Pieces
Mash or blend bananas in a medium bowl. Add sugar (Cane Juice), oil, vanilla and soy milk and blend until smooth and creamy.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, wheat germ, wheat bran, flaxseed meal, baking powder and salt. Pour this into the wet ingredients and blend until just combined. Add the walnuts and fold them in with a spatula. Spread the batter into a greased 9×5-inch bread pan.
Bake at 350°F for 1 hour. Makes 1 loaf (20 slices).
23 g Carb per slice.
Easy Summer Recipes - delicious tasting foods from the freshest ingredients