If you’ve got plenty of fresh apples, this is a tasty cookie recipe to try.
While most of us think of cookies as an indulgence, we’re often aware that they’re not too good for our health.
However, these tasty cookies are almost guilt free, when enjoyed in moderation.
The addition of spices and raisins adds real flavor to these great tasting cookies.
|Low Carb Spiced Apple Cookies||
- ½ cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 wholemeal (or whole wheat) flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup raisins (chopped)
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped finely)
- 1 medium apple (peeled and finely chopped)
- ½ tsp salt
- Beat together butter & sugar until creamed
- Add eggs, beating slowly
- Mix in remaining ingredients
- Place spoonfuls of cookie mix onto greased baking sheet
- Baked at 350° for 13-15 minutes
- Cool on a rack
15.14 Carbs per cookie
If you enjoy playing with recipes to amend them to your taste or reduce carb count here’s our suggested ways to change this recipe:-
- Try substituting hazelnuts or pecans for the walnuts
- Use Splenda to reduce about 4 g carb per cookie
- Add a teaspoonful of honey to the mix
- Add ¼ tsp of mixed spice for additional flavour (an idea for Easter cookies perhaps?)
- Swap the raisins for cranberries (an idea for Thanksgiving)
- Swap the spices around to create the perfect holiday cookies for diabetics and others on a low carb or low sugar diet
As always, cookies should be enjoyed in moderation and eaten following a main meal or savoury course.
(Measurements are in American cups)