The concept of superfoods is a relatively new one in healthy eating- and it seems that there are plenty of foods that qualify forsuperfood status! We’ll be looking at the superfoods, what they are, how they fit into your diet and why they may be worth the extra effort and expense.
Our list of top healthy super foods includes:-
- Avocado - this is a cholesterol lowering fruit. It’s also full of Vitamins B and E, which work to boost the immune system and reduce the damaging effect of toxins
- Blueberries - best eaten raw, but popular in muffins and pancakes, these are full of the health-giving antioxidants that are thought to help prevent cancer. They’re easy to add as a topping at breakfast time, in a smoothie, or as part of a dessert.
- Garlic - a powerful anti-oxidant, garlic naturally fights bacteria, helps to maintain a healthy heart and may lower cholesterol levels
- Green tea -the polyphenols in this tea are thought to neutralise free radicals and help to fight and prevent disease
- Pine Nuts - packed with anti-oxidants and cholesterol-lowering polyunsaturated fats
Other foods which are health-boosters include:-
Banana -providing a slow-release energy boost,they’re also full of Vitamin C, and potassium.
Brazil nuts - this is one of the most nutritious nuts! Packed with selenium and rich in protein, these are an ideal between meal snack.
Broccoli -full of the antioxidant Vitamin C, this single vegetable is packed with vitamins and an ideal booster for the immune system.
Soya beans - ever since it’s been found that the Japanese experience lower levels of cancer, experts have been studying the soya bean.
Sweet potato - full of vitamin C and anti-oxidants, this has a lower GI level than ordinary potatoes, so is ideal for inclusion in a diabetic diet.
Many of these foods are now available in supermarkets and are reasonably priced.
Whilst you may not want to go out of your way to buy these, gradually changing your diet to add or include some of these will help to improve your health.
Diabetic Diet - ideas and suggestions for enjoyable healthy eating as you live with diabetes.
Jens Blog - search this heart-felt blog about having a diabetic daughter